People around the museum seemed to like the Urban Light playlist I assembled a little while back, so today I bring you playlist #2, inspired by Pompeii and the Roman Villa. You can download this playlist at iTunes.
- Iggy Pop: Lust for Life
- Rufus Wainwright: Greek Song
- Beirut: Postcards from Italy
- Beck: Volcano
- Los Campesinos!: Between an Erupting Earth and an Exploding Sky
- Brian Eno: Baby’s On Fire
- Jim Waller and the Deltas: Vesuvius
- David Bowie: Ashes to Ashes
- Pixies: Dig for Fire
- Siouxsie and the Banshees: Cities in Dust
- Dr. Dog: Army of Ancients
- Dar Williams: This Was Pompeii
Special thanks to those of you following us on Twitter who suggested the tracks by Bowie, Eno, Beck, Jim Waller, and Dar Williams. Other terrific suggestions via Twitter included “Arrivederci Roma” by Jerry Vale, Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and Annie Lennox’s “Walking on Broken Glass,” “Cold Song” by Klaus Nomi, “Pompeii” by Gatsby’s American Dream, Dean Martin’s classic “That’s Amore,” and, of course, Jimmy Buffet’s “Volcano,” which contained the line likely on every Pompeian’s lips that fateful day: I don’t know where I’m a gonna go when da volcano blow! Did I forget anything else? (Please don’t say “Eruption” by Van Halen.)
Last but not least, I can’t help but include this video of the excellent Rezillos song “(My Baby Does) Good Sculptures,” which is sadly not available on iTunes.
Don’t love my baby for her pouty lips
Don’t love my baby for her curvy hips
I love my baby ’cause she does good sculptures yeah!